As of June 24, 2019, this Court has transitioned to the next generation of CM/ECF (NextGen CM/ECF). Every e-filer must take action.
- I can't e-file, what should I do?
If you were an e-filer before our conversion to NextGen CM/ECF on June 24, 2019, you must Link (pdf) your PACER account with your existing e-filing account. A new registration will be rejected.
- What should I do first?
If you are currently registered to e-file in a federal court that has announced it will be converting to NextGen CM/ECF, you will need an upgraded PACER account.
If you do not have an upgraded PACER account, click this link. Log in with your PACER username and password, and click on any of the options in the Settings tab. You will then be prompted to update your account.
If you do not have a PACER account, click this link and complete the registration. If you need assistance choosing a registration option, use the Registration Wizard for help.
**Please note that if you do not supply a credit card when registering for a PACER account, there will be a delay in the activation of your account. For immediate access to court records, provide a credit card during registration. If you do not provide a credit card, an activation code will be sent by U.S. mail to the address you provided on the registration form. Please allow 7-10 business days for mail delivery. For security reasons, activation codes cannot be emailed, faxed, or given over the phone.
See the next question to determine if you have an upgraded PACER account.
You may also use the Existing Attorneys or PACER Only Users electronic learning module for a step-by-step guide on how to upgrade your account.
- How do I know if I have an upgraded PACER account?
The easiest way to identify whether you have an upgraded account is:
- Upgraded PACER accounts have usernames with at least 8 characters. If your username is 6 characters, you do not have an upgraded account.
- Log in to Manage My Account and look for "Account Type."
- If Account Type is "Upgraded PACER Account", you have an upgraded PACER account.
- If Account Type is "Legacy PACER Account", you do not have an upgraded PACER account.
- If you do not have an upgraded PACER account, click this link. Log in with your PACER username and password, under "Account Type", click the Upgrade link.
NOTE: When you log-in to Manage My Account, it may say "Account Status Active". This indicates you have a PAA, which can only be used for billing purposes and not for case search access. To learn more about the PAA, review the PAA electronic learning module at www.pacer.uscourts.gov.
If the Case Search Status says "Inactive," contact the PACER Service Center for assistance at (800) 676-6856 between 9 AM and 7 PM EST, Monday through Friday, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- My PACER account is not upgraded. How do I upgrade my account?
Log in with your PACER username and password, and click on any of the options in the Settings tab. You will then be prompted to update your account.
- We share PACER accounts in my firm/office. Can we continue to do this in NextGen CM/ECF?
If you intend to e-file, you are required to have your own PACER account because your PACER account will be linked to your e-filing account.
- I am not an e-filer and I do not have an upgraded PACER account. Do I need to upgrade?
Only e-filers are required to upgrade their accounts right now. However, you will need to upgrade your account in order to perform any maintenance functions outside of making a payment.
- I am an e-filer and I have an upgraded PACER account. Now what do I do?
You MUST link (pdf) your filing credentials (login and password) to your upgraded PACER account. You must know both sets of credentials to link the accounts. You should not rely on the browser to remember these credentials.
- What if I do not know my passwords?
Click here to reset your PACER account password. NOTE: When you reset your PACER password, you must enter the email address that is on file with the PACER Service Center for the process to be successful.
To recover your CurrentGen CM/ECF password, you can contact the court during regular business hours.
- Is there training available for NextGen CM/ECF?
Yes, PACER has several electronic learning modules (ELMs) that can help you learn more about the NextGen CM/ECF system.
- How do I know if the court has converted to NextGen?
Check PACER's links page. The page will show the word "NextGen" next to any court that has converted to NextGen CM/ECF.